Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pasta Primavera


It's high time I posted a recipe that is neither baked nor sweet! And with the various array of fresh produce available right now, this seems the perfect time to do so. I originally found this recipe on Cooking Light's website. What I like about it is that you can use pretty much any fresh vegetables you happen to have on hand. I used carrots, zucchini, asparagus, and garlic spears. It would also be good with some chicken or shrimp thrown in there.


I bought these garlic spears at the farmer's market this past weekend. I had never seen them before and was intrigued. Raw, they are spicy with chive like undertones; steamed, they are similar in taste to really tender asparagus. I steamed them to add to the pasta. Next time I make this I am going to add even more vegetables and use a bit less pasta. Any good veggie suggestions?

Happy Cooking!

Pasta Primavera

Adapted from Cooking Light, April, 2002


2 large carrots (peeled and chopped into one inch spears, or use baby carrots)

1 1/2 cups asparagus chopped into one inch spears

2 cups chopped zucchini squash

7 garlic spears, cut into one inch pieces

2.5 cups whole wheat pasta (I used Penne)

1 tsp olive oil


3 coves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Salt (to taste)

Chili powder (to taste)

1/4 cup dry white wine

1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling on top)

1/4 cup fresh basil chopped into thin strips

1/4 cup chopped parsley


I started by chopping up the carrots and asparagus into one inch strips. I also chopped all the other vegetables at this time just to get it out of the way. I like to have everything ready to go once I start cooking.

Next, bring two quarts water to a boil. Cook carrots and asparagus for about three minutes or until done. While these are cooking, steam the garlic spears.

Remove carrots and asparagus from water with a slotted spoon, set aside.

Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions .

Drain.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add squash and sauté three minutes. Add in carrots, asparagus, salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder sauté for two minutes. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add chopped garlic spears. Stir in cream and juice; cook 1 minute.

Add cheese and pasta and stir well to coat. Remove from heat, stir in basil and parsley. Top with more fresh grated parmesan.


There you go, a healthy, quick, yummy dinner recipe.


3 comments:

  1. I told my mom about this because she loves pasta and she doesn't eat rice for alost 2 years! it's such an extreme diet.
    I'll try to coock this and I've wrote it. thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you like it, it's super easy! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome. (All your food looks awesome) I can't wait to try it! Another veggie you could use is roasted tomatoes. They take a little bit longer to cook, but are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete