Saturday, June 19, 2010

S'more Please!


I am sooo excited to share this next recipe! It is seriously, seriously FANTASTIC! Lately it seems like every supermarket I go into has all of their s'mores fixings put up in some tempting display right as I walk in. On a whim the other day I bought a bag of mini marshmallows and a box of graham crackers because they were on sale 2 for 2 dollars! That's a pretty darn good deal and I figured that I would eventually find a use for them. Well dear friends, that day has come... I absolutely love smores but haven't had them in years. My family are not big campers so the s'mores I usually had were from the microwave, or in the form of a pop tart. This recipe started out based on a recipe for Marshmallow Blondies I found on thegirlwhoeatseverything.blogspot. As I went along I kept modifying and modifying according to what i had on hand hoping and praying that they would turn out edible. Messing with ratios of ingredients while baking is a RISKY business to say the least, I have had many, many disastrous results as a consequence of trying to adjust recipes. However, these turned out A M A Z I N G! I am sure the original recipe is fantastic as well, however, i didn't happen to have any butterscotch chips but I DID have a hankering for something s'mores like! I used milk chocolate chips in place of butterscotch and added crushed graham crackers into the batter. I also sprinkled the top with mini marshmallows, graham crackers, and more chocolate chips after I pulled it out of the oven. It turned into crunchy, rich, gooey deliciousness. Words cannot sufficiently describe these, I just urge you, with all haste, go bake them!


S'mores Bars

based on the recipe for Marshmallow Blondies found here

Ingredients

1¼ cup milk chocolate chips (I think it would be really yummy to mix peanut butter chips and chocolate chips too)

¾ cup butter

Scant 1½ cup all-purpose flour

1 cup brown sugar

2 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

tsp vanilla

2 eggs

2 ½ cups mini marshmallows

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

¾ cup crushed graham crackers + more for topping


Preheat oven 350 degrees.

In a double boiler over medium high heat melt butter and 1 cup milk chocolate chips. Stir constantly so it doesn't burn. When melted remove from heat, let cool to room temperature. Mix in flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, eggs.


When well mixed, mix in semi-sweet chocolate chips, marshmallows, and graham crackers. Spread into well greased 13x9 inch pan. Bake for 24-26 minutes. It will look really ugly when you pull it out of the oven because the marshmallows spread out and get a little brown on top but don't worry the topping will cover this up! Sprinkle with mini marshmallows, tent with foil so they melt a little bit for about two minutes.


Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and graham crackers. Let cool before cutting and munching.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment