Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Whisked Away Wednesday: Cinnabon Apple Goodies


Happy Fourth Official Whisked Away Wednesday!

As I have said before, I love a good bargain, so when I got two coupons in the mail for Kellogg's new Cinnabon cereal, I added it to my grocery list to try. Each coupon was for $1.00 off so combined that was a 2 dollar savings! And, to top it off, when I got to the store, they had a coupon to double the manufacturer's coupon. Altogether it was a 3 dollar savings and the cereal only costs $2.50 so the store credited me 50 cents on my other grocery purchases! I basically got paid for buying the cereal. Which is AWESOME! The cereal itself is pretty good... not amazing... kinda tastes like cinnamon toast crunch. I still prefer my home made granola. However, the cereal sparked my creativity and I spent much of my day today dreaming up ways to incorporate it in a delicious baked goodie...

I recently purchased a baking tray that you can use to make baked (i.e. healthier) doughnuts and I figured this was as good a time as any to try it out. I found a good lookin recipe on Everybody Likes Sandwiches for an apple cinnamon coffee cake with strudel topping and decided to modify it a bit to incorporate the cereal. I also made some mini muffins in case the doughnuts didn't turn out so well. I needn't have feared, they are SUPER tasty!! The strudel topping is crispy, cinnamony and buttery and the doughnuts/muffins are beautiful and golden and super moist with big chunks of apple and warm cinnamon notes. I would recommend you make these ASAP! You can get one of the doughnut trays at Sur la Table or just use the recipe to make mini muffins they are both equally delectable!

Happy Baking!


Cinnabon Apple Doughnuts and/or Muffins

Recipe adapted from Everybody Likes Sandwiches



Ingredients


1 1/2 cups flour

2 1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 egg

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup canola oil

1 apple, chopped

3 tbsp crushed Cinnabon Cereal


Topping


1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup flour

3 tbsp butter

1/2 cup crushed (with chunks) Cinnabon Cereal


Preheat oven to 400. Butter doughnut pan or muffin pan (or use muffin liners).


Prepare crumb topping in a medium-sized bowl, crumbling mixtures with your fingers until it looks like crumbs. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, combine egg, milk and oil.


Add the wet to the dry and mix. Add in apples and stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and top with crumb mixture. If using muffin tins fill about 3/4 of the way full. If using doughnut pan fill about 3/4 full as well.



Sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for about 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment