Friday, October 22, 2010

Brown-Sugar Streusel Bundt

Rich, decadent, buttery. This month for the taste and create challenge, I got paired with Min from Bad Girl's Kitchen. She's got lots of great recipes. This one, for a yogurt bundt cake appealed to me as I recently acquired a bundt pan and had not yet put it to use. The cake turned out delicious, but I neglected to follow the part of the recipe that says "let cake cool for awhile" and as a result, when I flipped it over, this is what happened:

Well, lesson learned! Next time - let cake cool longer. What can I say? I'm not the most patient person ever... Back to the actual cake though, I made it pretty much following the recipe Min gives on her blog. I didn't have any walnuts to put in the streusel, so I increased the brown sugar to a full cup. I loved the way the sugar formed a crisp crust and a beautiful ribbon through the middle of the cake. The yogurt in the batter gave the bundt a moist, rich consistency. I will definitely be making this again, I will just let it firm up a bit before I try and flip it!

Original recipe from Min at Bad Girl's Kitchen
Ingredients
Cake
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 heaping cup plain yogurt (I used fat free)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Streusel
1 cup brown sugar
2 heaping teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together butter and sugar. Add eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
Mix in flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
Grease and flour bundt cake pan.
Spread 1/2 of batter in pan and sprinkle with 1/2 of brown sugar mixture.
Cover with remaining batter.

Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
Bake in 350 degree F oven for 40-45 minutes. Let cool for at least ten minutes, then turn out onto serving dish.


Look at that yummy caramelized brown sugar....

This cake didn't last long, cause I ate it!




Get Healthy Cheap
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap    up           party!

13 comments:

  1. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..
    Excelente!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it didn't come out of the pan well it looks delicious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy right now. I could really eat it all up while sitting at my desk. It would be so happy in my belly! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! It looks so delicious! And please know you aren't the first one who hasn't waited long enough to take a cake out of the pan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you just cant wait, I feel yah! Looks scrumtious anyways

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think this would work in a different kind of pan? I don't have a bundt form over here in England, but I can get regular-sized pans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorites! Good choice, glad you liked it. We've also used almonds, pecans, but probably walnuts most often.

    Anna, I think it would work in a different pan, just make sure you grease & flour it. Maybe a 9x13" or whatever the metric equivalent is--you know, the rectangle pan =)

    ~Min

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so very delicious! Definitely trying it! Thank you.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rich, decadent and buttery? You've got my attention right there. It sounds like a piece of this cake is just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooo YUM-O! I saw your recipe posted on Tater Tots & Jello last night and made it this evening. It was a BIG hit and you have a new follower!! Thanks so much for posting, I look forward to making more of your recipes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this and downed a huge piece. Oh so scrumptiously wonderful! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a perfect cake to go with my afternoon cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete