Friday, October 1, 2010

Canned Biscuit Dough Doughnuts

Doughnuts... from refrigerated biscuit dough??? Only Paula Deen would come up with this one. Literally all you do is pop open the biscuits, separate them, cut a hole out of the centers (I used a bottle cap for this), and fry them up. Ready in about two minutes. I dipped mine in vanilla and chocolate frosting, drizzled them with extra frosting, and topped 'em off with some sprinkles and a generous helping of candy corn (festive, right?). You may be thinking that doughnuts made from biscuit dough wouldn't, couldn't, definitely don't taste like doughnuts... well, I am here to tell you, these taste pretty much identical to a Krispy Kreme (now I have only had one Krispy Kreme in my entire life, but from what I remember, these are pretty similar). They have that great doughy doughnut texture, and are SO delish when served warm. I recommend making them before the rest of the family wakes up and timing it just right, so that as everyone stumbles into the kitchen after rolling out of bed, you are there to greet them with a smile and a plate full of fresh made doughnuts (they'll never know you spent all of five minutes making these). You could also serve them warm with sauces/frosting on the side and let the kiddos decorate them however they see fit. This recipe is an all around winner, enjoy!

Biscuit Dough Doughnuts (glaze recipes follow)
Ingredients
1 tube refrigerated biscuit dough (I used homestyle)
Oil for frying

Heat about 2 inches oil in a large pot or dutch oven to a temperature of at least 350 degrees. Mine hit about 360 and did great! Cook really fast though!
While oil is heating, separate biscuits and cut a hole in the center of each one. I did this with a soda bottle cap. Set middles (soon to be doughnut holes) aside.
Watch out for splatters!
When oil has reached the proper temperature, fry the doughnuts and doughnut holes one at a time until light golden brown.
Flip half way through so that you get both sides nice and fried. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon or tongs and set on paper towels to drain.
Coat with cinnamon and sugar or frost and sprinkle (see glaze recipe below)


Vanilla Krispy Kreme Style Doughnut Glaze
Ingredients
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup powdered sugar

Whisk together vanilla, milk, and sugar.
Dip doughnuts in glaze. Top with sprinkles or candy.

Chocolate Doughnut Glaze
Ingredients
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons milk

Whisk all ingredients together.
Dip doughnuts.
Top with sprinkles or candy.

Cute little doughnut holes
Sugar anyone?
Yum! Here's to a delicious weekend!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
UndertheTableandDreaming

9 comments:

  1. I hate to be sound jealous of Paula but thought of doing this too in the early 80's. I had my 6th graders making these in H. Ec. class as one of their first labs. I could get the oil for free from the government and the biscuits for 10 cents a can. I could only spend 25 cents per group of 4 students average per lab so this meant we could make something a bit more expensive later. The students loved these then too. Certainly not nutritious but the sense of independence they expressed was so fun for us all. Thank you for the fond memories. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE everything about these donuts! The easy peasy-ness of it, that it is a PD recipe, that you can decorate them easily for Halloween and of course because they are soooo yummy looking! D'lish Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those. We grew up making these donuts just like you showed! Now I make them for my family! I think the candy on them is so neat. I will make them for desert next time! YUM!

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on these! We cheated and just tore a hole in them instead of punching one out. My parents would roll them in sugar or powdered sugar. SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter in law makes these often, but she just dips them in cinnamon sugar when they come out of the oil. I love your glazes- I'll have to send her your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those! If you get the bigger ones called Grands and you gently stretch them out a little and do the same thing you get scones. We top them with jam, honey, powdered sugar, or cinnamon and sugar. It's one of our favorites when we are camping, or on a chilly winter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing. Wow! And they taste like doughnuts? I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I assume plenty of us have been making these for a long time. (Sorry, Paula.) I've been making these since I got married, which is 38 1/2 years ago. Instead of taking so much out of the biscuit for the holes, just take the biscuit in both hands, and use your thumbs to poke through the biscuit, pull just a little to open hole , then fry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have been making these since the 70's so Paula did not come up with this one. They are really yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete