Monday, October 25, 2010

Dark Chocolate Dipped Orange Cookies



Today I tried another great recipe from my taste and create partner Min from Bad Girls Kitchen. I love the combo of orange and dark chocolate, so when I came across this recipe, I didn't need any convincing to give it a try! I was feeling rebellious and didn't want to mix the chocolate chips into the batter, so I decided to switch it up an dip the cookies in the chocolate. The rich, bitterness of the chocolate complemented the sweet orange-infused cookies perfectly. The cookies rose up nice and fluffy , thanks to the combo of baking soda and baking powder. I put 1/4 of a teaspoon too much baking powder in my cookies so they were a little too fluffy for my liking (that's what I get for baking in a hurry!) Next time I will make sure to follow the instructions and only add 1/4 teaspoon NOT 1/2.... The recipe also uses all butter, instead of the usual butter/shortening combo, which produced an incredibly moist, soft cookie. These will be perfect for holiday gift giving (made with the correct amount of baking powder of course!).
Dark Chocolate & Orange Cookies
Adapted from Bad Girl's Kitchen
Makes 2 dozen

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
Grated zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup plain flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 pound dark chocolate chips (I used about 1/2 a bag)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Beat the butter and sugar together.
Add the egg, orange zest and vanilla extract. Add in the dry ingredients.
Roll into balls (I used a melon baller). Use your fingers to flatten onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Cool for five minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
When cookies are cool. Melt chocolate chips in a double broiler or the microwave.
Dip cookies in chocolate and set on waxed paper to harden.
Store in an airtight container for up to five days.
Dark chocolate + Orange = delish



BY THE WAY, just started a twitter account, come be my friend please :) @whiskandaprayer
I'm still trying to figure it out so bear with me!


3 comments: