Monday, October 11, 2010

Magazine/Cookbook Monday: Orzo Alfredo with Bacon and Peas


Happy Monday! This is going to be a quick post as I am writing from my hotel room and have to be up VERY soon to catch my flight. I got the basis of this alfredo recipe from an old Food & Wine magazine I found at my doctor's office (don't worry I asked before tearing it out!) I neglected, however, to write down the issue month or year. The original recipe is for Fettuccine Alfredo with Asparagus. I didn't have any fettuccine noodles or asparagus so I subbed orzo for the fettuccine and threw in some peas and bacon to transform it into a complete meal. The sauce turned out perfect; rich, creamy and cheesy. It may seem strange to combine orzo with a fettuccine sauce, but I LOVED how it turned out. Orzo is a hearty pasta and can hold its own with this sauce, which is pretty thick as far as alfredo sauces go. The peas and bacon added great texture. I will definitely be making this dish again, I bet it would be equally satisfying with chicken, or a different combination of seasonal veggies. Hope you all enjoy it and have a great week!

Orzo Alfredo with Bacon and Peas
Sauce recipe: Food & Wine Magazine

Ingredients
3 main dish servings
(Note, in the picture, I photographed nutmeg and garlic which I ended up leaving out)

1/2 pound orzo
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup peas
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
5 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper

Cook orzo according to directions on box.
In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, mix cream, peas, butter, Parmesan, and bacon. Heat over medium low heat, whisking constantly until Parmesan and butter have melted.
Combine with orzo, season with salt and pepper and serve topped with additional Parmesan cheese.

Happy whisking,

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. You had me at "Orzo" but then you said "heavy cream" and "bacon" and I was a complete goner. MMMM delicious. Going to try this almost immediately. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my oh my yumminess!!! I am loving the looks of this dish and want to make it ASAP! Great how you switched up the pasta for the orzo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, partner! I can't find a way to email you, so I'll just ask here: what is that delicious looking thing on your header? If you have the recipe posted, please point me in the right direction!
    Thanks.
    Min
    The Bad Girl's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this recipe tonight and it was out of this world. My husband absolutely devoured it. May I have your permission to share this recipe on my blog and link it back to you?
    I'll wait to hear back from you! :)
    Thanks,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to let you know that I posted the recipe!
    Here is the link:
    http://ashleyscookingadventures.blogspot.com/2010/11/scentsy-giveaway-winner-and-orzo.html

    Thanks for letting me borrow it. :)

    ReplyDelete