Sunday, October 17, 2010

Scary Little Cookies



Tired of Halloween themed goodies yet? No? GOOD! Me neither! These Halloween cookies are stinkin' cute, if I do say so myself ☺ Got the recipe from the Land O' Lakes butter website. I don't even remember how/why I was on a BUTTER website to begin with... but I digress... I like these cookies, they don't require lots of decorating effort, but they turn out adorable. Don't be deceived by their devilishly good looks, these little guys are darn tasty too. They are cakey, crunchy sugar cookies with the added surprise of coconut in the batter. I liked the fruit snack covered mummys the best, the taste reminds me of a jelly doughnut. Both ghosts and mummys were gobbled up in the first ten minutes of my neighbors Halloween party. What more can you ask for? Taste and looks, these cookies have it all!

Recipe from Landolakes.com
Ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 box (6 rolls) fruit-flavored rolls
Black decorator gel
Mini chocolate chips or small decorator candies (optional)

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl.
Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and coconut.
Continue beating until well mixed.
Divide dough into balls (I made BIG ones using my ice cream scooper and got about 12 balls).
Shape each ball into a log. Place 1 inch apart onto parchment paper covered cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheets.

Mummys
Allow cookies to cool completely.
Starting at top of each cookie, wrap 1 fruit roll around each cookie, stretching slightly to cover. Cut off any extra fruit roll.
Leave small opening near top for eyes. Place onto waxed paper. Use black decorator gel to adhere mini chocolate chips for eyes on each cookie.

Ghosts
Extra Ingredients
2 cups powdered sugar
Roll each cookie in sifted powdered sugar while warm. Set aside to cool.
Roll each in powdered sugar again (I actually ended up putting powdered sugar in a bag and shakin the little ghosts). Tap off excess. Add eyes as directed above.
I liked the eyes better when I didn't use the mini chocolate chips, but it's your call ☺ Maybe use some red hots to make them look extra creepy!
Store in loosely covered container between sheets of waxed paper up to 2 days.

Have a great week!


UndertheTableandDreaming Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap    up           party!

18 comments:

  1. O O O O - My Indigo would LOVE these. How inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooo cute! What fun for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! I made carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting last night - but I used pre-shredded carrots instead of freshly shredded carrots - whoops. They turned out ok, but the carrot pieces are very large and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I will never tire of Halloween treats....LOVE them!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great step by step tutorial, and a great idea for a treat to bring to a Halloween party. Visiting from www.lifeisaparty.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been featured today! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party- I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. - Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how fun! I love these and so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO, I am not tired yet, I am trying to get in as much as I can and still have an adult party to plan that we have been doing for 30 years. These are really cute. They may be hopping up on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you guys like these :) I think they're pretty cute!
    Kattrine - mmm sounds yummy, when I make carrot cake I cut the shredded carrots with scissors to make the bits a little smaller. Jaqueline - i'm glad you're not tired of halloween stuff! Hope your party goes great! HAPPY HALLOWEEN (almost)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so adorable! I especially love those little mummies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! I love the mummies...fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My lil' crumb will LOVE the mummies! clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute. I love the ones rolled in fruit roll-ups.

    ReplyDelete