Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chicken, Bacon, and Rice Soup



Hello all! My best friend Lauren from thelittlethingswedo blog just gave birth to a beautiful little girl. Since as a new mom I'm sure the last thing she wants to do is cook, I cooked up a bunch of freezer ready meals that she can heat and enjoy. I made them a barbecue chicken cornbread casserole, some individual pot pies, and this soup. I grabbed the recipe off of Lauren's pinterest so I knew it was something she would enjoy. Believe it or not, this was my first time making a roux, and it seemed pretty lumpy to me, but once mixed in with the soup base, the lumps disappeared. Feel free to add more veggies, I know I will next time I make it. The recipe is highly customizable, you could sub in brown rice (that's what I did) or noodles or some other starch. The soup is so hearty and nourishing that all you really need to accompany it is a fresh green salad. Hope you enjoy, and if you get a chance, hop on over to Lauren's blog and congratulate her!

Chicken Bacon Rice Soup
3 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice (or brown), rinsed
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions - I only had scallions, they seem similar to me!
1/2 cup margarine or butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cup cubed or shredded cooked chicken or turkey
8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped pimiento

In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth and water.
Add rice and onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes (or until rice is tender). Once the rice is cooked, there will be some additional broth - do not drain. In a medium saucepan, melt margarine, stir in flour, salt, seasoning, and pepper.
Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly (mine never got all the way smooth, guess it takes practice). Gradually stir in half and half with the butter/flour mixture and cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
Add this creamy mixture back into the saucepan with the rice/broth. Add remaining ingredients (chicken, bacon, and pimiento).
Heat on low, stirring every once in a while, for at least a half an hour. I cooked mine about an hour and a half. Do not boil. The longer you cook it, the more it will thicken.
This soup is best served after gently heating for an extended period of time (even a few hours) or the next day.
Have a happy week!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I've found your site off of Pinterest and LOVE your recipes! You mention a barbecue chicken cornbread casserole in this post...and well it sounds AMAZING but I don't see it on your site. Would you be willing to post said recipe??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum that just sounds great! wish it was cold enough for soup here. but may have to make an exception & try it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned taking this as a freezer meal...can you share how you did that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuyển 4 nhân viên nữ làm việc ở Ngõ tự do
    - 2 Nhân viên ca sáng từ: 8h15 -12h15 ( 4 Tiếng)
    dịch vụ kế toán trọn gói quận 7
    dịch vụ kế toán trọn gói quận 9
    dịch vụ kế toán trọn gói quận 10
    Hiểu biết và yêu thích Mỹ Phẩm, giao tiếp tốt, nhanh nhẹn trung thực và đặc biêt phải hay cười.
    - Da đẹp ngoại hình ưa nhìn không cần xinh

    ReplyDelete